Thursday, September 25, 2008

Week 5, Chapter 13

Watzlawick labels a family as a system. I think his idea makes a lot of sense. A family works together to bring out the best of each other, to be there for support and stay together. I liked Watzalawick's description of a family being like a "mobile suspended from a ceiling... Tug any string, and the force sends a shock wave throughout the whole network." (p. 170) I relate to this very well. I am the youngest of 6 children. There is a 19 year age difference between my eldest brother and I. When I was born, and when I was a child, my older brothers and sisters were in there teens. My eldest brother died in a motorcycle accident when he was 17, my mom's first husband died in a car accident, my elder sister ran away and my other two brothers and sisters got into drugs. I was born and raised in their time of grieving and pain from the loss of our loved ones. I was young, so I didn't necessarily understand why my older brothers and sisters would act the way they did, I was just told that they were making "bad choices". It seemed like everyone's actions effected all of us. If my brother or sister were in trouble, I would see if effect my parents in a negative way, which would effect me in a negative way. It was exactly like the mobile effect, and almost like a domino reaction.
When I became a teenager, I got into a lot of trouble too. To me, I thought it was normal because I grew up with it. When I was negative and doing bad things, it effected my parents. they were angry and more stressed out. It was like a never ending fuse. Yet when I became happier and stopped getting into as much trouble, I saw my parents become more happier and we could actually have a civil coversation without any arguing. I used to think that I would never be able to talk to my parents again after what we went through when I was a teenager, but now I am really grateful that we can. My father told me last Christmas that "seeing me happy makes the whole household a lot happier".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your personal and family experience.

As you said, viewing family as a system does make sense. It is a system that has interdependent parts with feedback loops affecting each other. The family homeostasis, or equilibrium, of tacit collusion to maintain the status quo is applicable in such a system. I am a parent with two teenage children; even without problems with drugs or alcohol, it is easy to see the axioms in play. One cannot not communicate: despite the debatability of this axiom, it is true much of the time; its corollary of “one cannot not influence” is equally valid much of the time. The second axiom, content / relationship or verbal / nonverbal is applicable in family communication. Watzlawick asserts that family relations improve only when family members discuss their patterns of communication. Akin to CMM’s serpentine model, the punctuation axiom is evident in almost every family. And the last axiom of symmetricalness / complementarity, although slightly obscure, is still pertinent. Nonetheless, I found Rogers’ and Farace’s transactional types matrix of one-up, one-down, and one-across, intellectually appealing, but not of exceeding utility.

JimTin said...

First of all, I really appreciate the fact that you opened up for this blog. I can't imagine what you have gone through to be where you are today but you must be a strong person. Secondly, I absolutely agree with the term "families are like systems". I can totally relate to this because I have gone through many situations at home in which I have felt the effect of an action made by my cousins, sisters and other relatives. For example, I have two sisters, one 16 years old and the other 14, and the 16 year old ran away from home last year. I didn't really care about her because she had disrespected my mom, caused chaos in the household by starting rumors and things of that sort. Although I didn't do anything to my mom, she would take out her anger towards my sister on me because I just happened to be in the area. I suffered from this because families are really like systems.