Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Week 4, Chapter 9

As soon as I started to read chapter 9, I felt like I could already to relate to what Altman and Taylor were writing about. I could relate to Pete, the new freshman who is closed off in someways to the new people who he meets. Although I am a Junior, I transferred to SJSU this year and am going through similar traits. When I first met my roommates, I found it hard to tell them all about myself and what was going on in my life. I was going through a tough relationship breakup and trying to ind my niche here in San Jose. I did not know how people would judge me or think of me. For the first two weeks of school, I just wanted to go home. I was very popular at home, everyone knew me and I had a lot of friends. Coming here was a huge transition to me and I felt overwhelmed in some ways.
In the chapter, I saw the diagram of the mutilayered onion. I thought that was such a brilliant idea. Although it was labeled as "Pete's Personality Structure", I felt like I could relate to it in everyway, like it was almost My Personality Structure. I am like Pete when it comes to not wanting to share certain things with people because of the fear or being judged or emotionally blackmailed.

1 comment:

CeeZee said...

It's a crazy feeling to be outside your comfort zone, but after being there myself so many times, its actually something I now look forward too - almost a hobby.

I realized that I learn the most about myself when I'm thrown into a new situation. I learn what I'm capable of, what I'm not, and I end up being so much better off because I left safe territory.

Taking a risk is a very brave and rewarding experience. Most often, when we evaluate the risk and ask "what's the worst that could happen?" the answer is usually that we'll simply be no further along than where are now. Meaning, we have nothing to lose - if we try something and fail, we'll just be back to where we started; but awesome part is that we have the opportunity for greatness. No risk = no reward.

Your post hit home for me, as my life is full of transitions at the moment also. I try to remind myself that being outside my comfort zone and going through adversity is a good thing because I will be so much stronger because of it.