Saturday, September 20, 2008

Week 4 Blog, Chapter 10

Whenever we meet people, wherever it may be, we always have to go through a stage of getting to know them. I think it is easier to break the ice with people who you are not professional with, but when it comes to meeting new people at your place of work, it is always difficult to bond at first. I think it is harder because you have to act professionally and don't want to cross the boundaries with other co-workers or supervisors, because it can cost you your job. When I read about Berger's "uncertainty reduction theory", I thought of my own experiences when he told the story about meeting Heather and her companion Hannah for the first time. I recently went through the same experience with my job. I transferred stores when I moved to San Jose and had to meet everyone. I was working for the same company but I came to the new store as a higher level and was nervous about meeting all of the associates there. I was especially nervous about meeting the managers and I hoped that I could make a good impression on him. This is still going on now since I've only worked there for less than a month, I'm not in my niche yet so I am always paranoid if I am keeping it professional or not, because I definitely don't want my job to be at risk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, I just started a new job too and it's hard to find your niche. Everybody else is already acquainted, but they had to get there somehow and they probably went through the same process we're going through now. It's funny to read this stuff about increasing and decreasing uncertainty only to realize that you're already practicing it!