Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 4 Blog, Chapter 9 #2

"Interpersonal closeness proceeds in a gradual and orderly fashion from superficial to intimate levels of exchange, motivated by current and projected future outcomes. Lasting intimacy requires continual and mutual vulnerability through breadth and depth of self-disclosure." (p. 120)
I can definitely relate to this quote in Chapter 9 because I have learned that relationships take time and effort to maintain. It takes continual effort to maintain a long lasting relationship. When I read this, I thought of a computer game that I have played before. It is called "The Sims". It is a game where you build your own house, start a family and make networks and friends. It is basically like a game about life. In the game, you can build relationships with friends (or your lover), in order to keep your friend and lover, you have to make time for them and converse with them or hang out with them. It gets quite difficult because it will get to a point where you have 20+ friends and your partner to maintain a relationship with. If you don't hang out with one or talk to one of them, your relationship score will go down, which punishes you in the long run because you can't move forward in the game without a certain amount of friends and high scores. In everyday life, you have to maintain these same relationships and skills. It takes work and a continuous effort yet I would think it would get very difficult and overwhelming if you have a job in Public Relations!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that statement was great. It really puts relationships into perspective. It makes me consider the many great relationships I have developed in my lifetime and I consider how much time and work has gone into each one of them. Unfortunately, on the other hand I reflect and see some friendships that have faded away due to lack of time and effort. Though our society would like to give us the idea that great relationships can develop over a very brief period of time with such ideas of “love at first sight”, the reality is that deep intimacy and relationships can only be truly developed over an extended period of time. In actuality relationships take so much work and time that they could be fulltime job themselves.

marikamania said...

I have never played SIMS before but I can relate to the quote also. Relationships do take time and effort to attain and maintain. Most of my friends that I have had for long periods of time, will always be really close to me no matter how long I go without seeing them. I do notice though that when I am too busy with work and school to make time for friends my relationships suffer, and my friends feel that I don’t think that they are important enough to schedule them in. I also have five sisters that live in the Bay Area and it is hard for me to maintain the closeness I have had with them.