Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Week 5, Chapter 11

Communication is very important when it comes to maintaining a positive relationship. I thought this chapter's whole "You've Got Mail" theme made it very easy and enjoyable to read. I have seen the movie, so I feel like I could totally relate to the chapter. It was nice to have excerpts throughout the chapter, which made it more interesting to read and better to understand CMC communication. Computer mediated communication is used everywhere now. Internet chatting and instant messaging has skyrocketed since the new millennium. Other things that are popular and relate to CMC are the online social networks like Myspace and Facebook. I have counts on both and definitely understand how hard it is to keep up with all of your "friends", sending messages and writing comments on their page. Plus, I've noticed a lot of people like to deal with expressing their anger, issues to someone by email. Writing them an email to tell them off. I think that's because they are behind a computer and not face to face with that person, so they feel free to say whatever they want and not be fearful of the consequence then and there. Overall, CMC communication is like all other communication. Just because it is through a computer, doesn't mean that you can skip certain parts that make a healthy and positive relationship.

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the You've Got Mail example. It's a cute movie, but a little old (10 years) so I was concerned students wouldn't be able to relate to it very well. You make a good point at the end of your entry--we should be as polite to others in email as we are in person (or if we're not polite in either venue, we should work on that!).