Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 2, Chapter 5 #2

While reading Chapter 5, I could relate to the term and definition of the generalized other (p. 65) The definition of generalized other is "the composite mental image a person has of his or her self based on community expectations and responses". When I read that, I thought of all of the instances where I had used my generalized other. A memory that stuck to me was an instance when I went from becoming a member of a group to a leader. I was involved as a member in a youth/teen group for two years prior. When a new leadership term came up, I became the co-facilitator of the group and eventually a board member (which I still am today). When I first went on leadership, I felt so proud and mature (even though I probably was not very mature at that time). I had an image of myself being a role model to the others because that was what was expected of the youth community. I portrayed the image of "the co-facilitator" onto myself.

Doing that actually helped me grown into a young adult. Because of the responsibility I had, I partied less and set a more healthier example for the members who looked up to me. Now, even as the youngest board member of the organization, I still have the mental image of what others will look and expect from me as. I see what my obligations are and put them to work in my own actions. Sometimes it is hard because I still have friends who are members of the organization, so I make sure to still act my position without making it seem like I am superior. Most of the board members are past their 40's so it is also hard for me sometimes to think like them and communicate like them considering I am 20. Yet I put myself in the position I was in as a member thinking of them as board members and remembering how I thought of them. This helps me remind myself of what others think and expect of me.

2 comments:

Tornn said...

I find the power of the mind extremely interesting. If you portray a mental image of yourself being a certain way, it will definitely help you achieve that status or change yourself towards that mental image.
I know personally, I prepare for my hockey games by mentally going over the correct decisions in my head for everytime I get the puck. I don't need to mentally see myself scoring goals or doing anything crazy, I just need to visualize myself making the smartest play in every situation and it helps. Kind of interesting don't you think? The power of the mind that is.

MBparisSJ said...

Thanks for the welcome message!!

I think your point about evolving within a group is really interesting. And it's true it does mater to go from member to some kind of boss. And beside that those are the experiences who are going to define you as an individual and becoming the person you want to be .
According to the use of power you made you can become a totally different person. And when you think about it, it's a bit scary, how a simple thing as having more power can affect your whole human being and behaviour..