Saturday, October 25, 2008

Week 8, Chapter 26 #2

I wanted to emphasize more on the definition of "democratic pluralism". Hall defines democratic pluralism as "the myth that society is held together by common norms such as equal opportunity, respect for diversity, one person- one vote, individual rights, and rule of law." (p. 335) I guess I can say I agree that this is s myth. People immigrate to America for these rights and come here to see that there is still unequality here. Up until the 1960's, Blacks did not even have the same rights, when they were slaves and even after slavery was abolished, they did not have the right to marry. Interracial marriage was also shunned upon. There is still unequality. Even with people who are American and of all diversities. Like with same sex marriage. Religion and politics should not be tied with each other. I think that everyone should have the right to marry and have the same rights as everyone else in their country. Just like America stands for. So I do have to say that democratic pluralism is a myth.

No comments: