Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week 7, Chapter 20

A lot stood out to me in this chapter. Deetz did a great job of explaining the communications that take place in organizations. There were a few things that stood out to me. The first one was about the mangement and the power trips that they can have. I liked the Dilbert comic on p. 267. I think that was a good way to show how some managers are very selfish and don't necessarily think about how they are treating their employees. The manager only wanted to make effort in communication because he thought the company ould do better, but he didn't pay attention to what his employees might need. Also, on p. 265 it has the quotes "because I'm the boss", "because I say so", "if you don't like it, quit", and "it's my way or the highway". When people say that to me it makes me extremely mad. I've had someone say the first three quotes to me and it infuriates me. It makes me feel (and I'm sure it makes others too) like I am unappreciated and if I quit it really wouldn't matter. Though I try to be the best associate and hard worker I can be. I've been in leadership and management positions before and I would never do that to my associate, I would want them to be heard and welcomed. I would want them to feel safe and appreciated even if we don't agree on things.

No comments: