Thursday, October 2, 2008

Week 6, Chapter 18 #2

"Some people make things happen.
Some people watch things happen.
Some people have things happen to them.
Some people don't even know things are happening."
(p. 244)
I read this and my mind started wandering from the book and into that quote. I'm not sure why, but I fell in love with this quote when I first read it. I thought it was so true. People can be all around each other physically but in such different worlds. This is true in groups as well. In my experience with small groups. there has always been individuals who fit this quote. There is always the person who wants to get everything done, the person who watches, the person who gets things put on them and some members of the group don't even know what is happening. In my experience, only one or two members are left to do all the work while everyone else is clueless. I think these types of problems can be solved by communication and having a deadline and outline for everyone in the group so they all do an equal amount of work and no one feels like they are doing everything or like they have done nothing.

2 comments:

pirateprincess said...

I really liked the quote as well. I just had a group project in another class and it was a nightmare! For every person described in the quote, there was one in my group! I'm not going to brag or anything (haha) but I like to make things happen. I naturally take control in group settings and I don't like other people to have my destiny (or my grade) entirely in their hands. I agree that communication and guidelines should be established in order to have a successful group dynamic. I think email has actually hurt group projects because we tend not to meet in person anymore and just email instead.

CeeZee said...

I commented on this quote in my blog as well and it also really stood out to me as I read this chapter. I took it as an illustration of responsibility levels, where we have a choice to be an active member of society or to stand idly by. Its frustrating to see a person's laziness time and time again, but then to listen to their claims that life is unfair or that they are a victim. We all have a choice and every choice has consequences: some good, some bad. The great thing is that our power is in our hands and when we realize that, we will stand a better chance of making a great decision.