Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week 7, Chapter 19 #2

Geertz writes about writing ethnographies and ways to research different cultures. I have to say that the cultural approach to research and communication is one of my favorite kinds of approaches. This semester, I am also taking Qualitative Research and I absolutley love it. I love writing thick descriptions and ethnographies and I love studying and exploring different cultures in a qualitative research approach. I like this approach better than quantatative because you get to interview and experience the culture first hand rather than conduct surveys which is mostly good for statistical research. I love the idea of going to a culture and studying them in a way where I can really get something out of it. Plus, it is challenging because there are research ethics you should follow and sometimes you may have a fear of that particular culture. Someone in my class asked why we even did qualitative research, since it is not straight logical and there is not real correct answer. You can find something in your research and sometone else can find something else totally different, yet both findings would be correct because qualitative research is about finding new things and theories about cultures. It is not like math, where there is only one right answer. I think that even if there is not only one answer, it is still imporatant to learn. It is because you personally can take information and experience with you, which is very rewarding. I think that this is what education should be about, the experience and knowledge you take with you, even if it is not the "only" correct answer.

4 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

This chapter does fit well with what you're learning about ethnography in COMM 156. Ethnographies are interesting to conduct and interesting to read. Viewing organizations as cultures gets us to examine what's going on in organizations besides getting the work done--and there's a lot of stuff that goes on besides work. Still, quantitative methods also provide insight into organizations and organizing--just different insights. For example, surveying members of multiple organizations helps us compare and contrast organizations on similar dimensions, such as communication climate and supervisor-subordinate communication. So the method you use depends on the research question you're asking.

pirateprincess said...

I'm in Comm156 as well. This approach to research is different than anything I've ever done. Instead of reading a book or articles about a culture, you immerse yourself in the culture and absorb everything that occurs. Ethnographies are very individual. If 3 people did the same site, each of them may observe different things and come up with 3 completely different descriptions. Our professor said to be objective but at the same time, we cannot ignore our own culture and biases in the process. You are right that there is not just one correct answer, but rather what you gain from the experience that matters.

Brooke School said...

That is really awesome you are able to make that you are able to make that connection. This was the first time I have learned about ethnography. I agree that researching other cultures through ethnography is great because it allows you to see things that another person might not even notice. I think it is very important to learn about other cultures.

sjsueducatedfool said...

I found your post about writing ethnographies interesting. I am taking COMM155 quantitative communication and I enjoy the logic behind it. The ethnographer who emerges themselves into a culture seems interesting as well. I will be taking COMM156 next semester and I am looking forward to experiencing a new way to conduct research. Professor Coopman made a good comment about the research depends on the question. Quantitative research would ask a question regarding communication satisfaction between supervisor and employee. Ethnography is interpretive, seeing it from your own point of view. A question for ethnographic research would be, “What significance does managements open door policy have on it employees?”