Friday, October 17, 2008

Week 8, Chapter 23

This whole chapter stood out to me and reminded me a lot of qualitative research. The information that is passed on is by story telling and other narrative ways. My professor told me that story telling was one of the most reliable and better ways to get information on a particular culture or story, because those people know it the best (even if it isn't particularly true, it is still valid because its someones story). On page 302, it states that "people are essentially story tellers", which makes a lot of sense because we usually tell stories everyday. It also ties into the previous chapter, where there were the "acts" and "scenes" of narrative story telling. Fisher states that a narrative paradigm is " a theoretical framework that views narrative as the basis of all human communication." I agree with this definition and believe that the narrative paradigm is one thing we use all the time. even as toddlers, we would tell stories about what happened to us/them. I also appreciated the story about Ruth and David, the greatest King of Israel, I think that is a clever and interesting story.

1 comment:

pirateprincess said...

We've been doing qualitative research in my other comm class. Story telling is a large part of the research. You can learn a lot about a culture and people through the stories that they tell and even the way in which they tell the story. Every day we tell stories. I know when I get to work, I am telling my coworkers some story about what happened the day before. When I get home, I tell a story to my family. Story telling is weaved all through our lives and that is why it is the "basis of all human communication".