Thursday, October 23, 2008

Week 8, Chapter 26

"Corporate Control of Mass Communication." (p. 338) This part of the chapter reminded me of a project I did last semester at SRJC. It was called project censored and was based out of SSU. We learned about how the media portrays and filters the news because it is owned by certain corporations. That's why we only see a certain realm of media on the news. The corporations have such a power to control what we know about, so its basically junk food news (thats what they call it). I don't watch the news because I don't necessarily learn anything new from it. I think it brings more fear than information to people. From the project, I also learned that this filtering happens in journalism too. Journalists who let information out about a certain subject that may involve or connect with the corporate companies that own the media will most likely get assigned to another area or get fired. I'm not trying to preach or hate on the news, this just reminded me of a project that I studied a lot about, and appreciate. It's also cool because this is now a worldwide organization and it started in my hometown :-) If your interested in learning more about it heres the site:
http://www.projectcensored.org/

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

What a great project you worked on for your class. Thank you for including the link to Project Censored.

One activity I've had students in my internet communication class do is examine the websites of media outside the U.S. Although the sites are in English, so targeted to an English-speaking audience, they often present an alternative view of what's going on in the U.S. and certainly a broader view of new technological innovations across the globe. Students are often quite surprised that any other countries are developing new communication technologies. Some are even ahead of the U.S. in specific technologies and their applications (e.g., cell service in the U.S. is mediocre compared with countries such as Japan, China, and much of Europe.

BTW, it's week 9.